Procedure:
- gather all supplies (gloves, apron, mask)
- pick a number out of the bag (#11)
- go into the back room to retrieve cat which corresponds with number
- take cat out of bin and place bin under work station
- cut the bag open using scissors directly under the heat seal
- drain excess liquids in bag into the sink
- once drained, take cat out of bag
- place cat on bin cover
- observe cat
- once finished, return cat into bag and bin and clean work station
Materials
- gloves
- apron
- masks
- scissors
- notebook
- pencil
- Ipad
Data collected
- the third eyelid was a grayish white
- both ears are in good condition
- teeth are not chipped and appear sharp
- the right nose seems to be clogged while the left is clear
- the spine and left shoulder are broken and completely off from the normal structure of the body
- both pupils of the eyes are facing different directions
- female cat
- most likely has been run over
Conclusion
Honestly, my first reaction to the cat was disgust. When I held the cat while it was still in the bag, I felt relief that the cats didn't smell as bad as I expected. That was when I realized that once the bags were cut open, the real smell would be unleashed. Curiously, the fact that the cat was wet disgusted me more than the fact that it was dead. I also did not like the fact that there was a clear disadvantage in our future conquests since this cat was incapable of remaining in the proper position. The fact that I was allergic to cats didn't put me at ease either as my allergies kicked in rather quickly. Also, I would have preferred if the cat's eyes were closed instead of open and staring in opposite directions. Overall, I did not consider this a pretty cat. However, there was interest present in my reaction as well. After all, this is the first time it has been acceptable to examine a dead animal at such close proximity. It was interesting to examine the teeth and pads up close whereas, if the cat had been alive instead, such observations would have been close to impossible.


No comments:
Post a Comment